Friday, September 21, 2012

I'm officially frightened.

Alright.

Ben's a smart guy.

I'm pretty mathematically inclined.

So it's not surprising that our kids are smart. Left-brained smart. Like, tell me how much something costs in dollars and I will tell you how many 25¢ marbles that is worth smart.

Sometimes, Travis struggles with his Math Tracks at school. This is a program the school uses that prescribes certain math work to the students in a progressive method.

Despite Travis's stellar math skills, he falls behind at math tracks, I think because he gets bored with it. As soon as we start working on more difficult stuff, he shines.

Like, for instance, last night; when we went on the Math Tracks website and did the online flash cards. When we did the timed flash-cards for the level Travis is currently at, he got 16 answers in 2 minutes. When we jumped ahead a grade level, he got 34.

Oh well. We'll suffer through the easy stuff for now. But in the meantime, as Travis and I were working on his current-level flash cards, Noah sat behind him and whispered the correct answers before Travis was able to find the right key to type it in.

7-3 =

Noah: (four! It's four!)

9+4 =

Noah: (thirteen! I think it's thirteen!)

Terrific. Seriously, this kid is in Pre-Kindergarten where the extent of math is being able to identify numbers, certainly not addition and subtraction. I have a feeling we'll have another bored kid come time for first grade Math Tracks.


No comments:

Post a Comment