Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's a good thing Charlotte's not a butterfly

Travis finished reading Charlotte's Web last night.

He's kind of a sensitive kid; he refuses to watch Star Wars with me because he's seen a bit of it and it looked scary; he stopped reading one of his Magic Treehouse books the other night because it got a bit spooky; when Sophie and Noah get engrossed in movies like The Princess Bride, Travis leaves the room because "it just seems like lots of bad things are happening."

So when I tucked him in for bed and kissed him goodnight, knowing he was just two chapters away from Charlotte dying in the book....I hesitated.

I imagined him reading in his bed, like he does each night, coming to the realization that one of the best storybook characters of all time was not going to survive Chapter Twenty-One. I imagined his quivering lip, tears forming in his eyes.

I wasn't sure whether I should warn him of what was coming.

I didn't. Instead, I patted his sweet little head, left him to his book, and went downstairs.

About twenty minutes later, I decided to check on him.

I glanced in his room. He was up on the top bunk, engrossed in the book still.

I climbed up into the bed with him. He was on the last page of the chapter before THE chapter.

He finished the chapter, then flipped the page and kept going. I questioned him:

-----------------------

Travis, are you going to keep reading?

Well, mom, I only have two chapters left and I'm not really tired. I think I'm gonna finish the book tonight.

Okay, well, I just wanted to tell you....there is something really sad that happens in this chapter. I just want to make sure you know that and if you want me to stay here with you while you read it, I will.

Ummm...I think I know.

You do?

I think so. Why don't you tell me what happens and I'll tell you if I'm right?

Actually, why don't YOU tell me what you think is gonna happen, and I'll tell YOU if you're right?

I think....I think Charlotte dies.

......Yes. You're right. Charlotte dies.

I thought so. But.....

Yes, Travis?

I think it's okay. Because I think Wilbur will have her babies to be friends with. 

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Actually, what happens with Charlotte's babies is really cool.

I'm kind of excited to find out about her babies. I think they will help Wilbur to always remember Charlotte.

Yes, he will always remember her. And her babies are really neat. I think you'll really like that part. In fact, Wilbur gets to name some of her babies!

I can't wait to read about that. I bet Charlotte's babies will love Wilbur.

All right, well, it sounds like you're okay then. I just wanted to make sure you were prepared to read about this.

You know mom, most insects die after they lay eggs. Charlotte's not an insect, but I think it's the same for spiders too. It happens to the monarch butterfly, too, but the monarch butterfly only lays one egg and Charlotte lays hundreds!!

----------------------

Yes, Travis is sensitive. He's also incredibly scientific. Particularly when it comes to animals.

Fifteen minutes later, he came downstairs, book in hand:

Mom, Charlotte's Web is my favorite non-series book ever!



I had nothing to worry about.

--------------------------------
As a post-script: I finished reading the last four chapters to the other kids tonight. Sophie kind of lost interest, and in fact was mostly asleep by the end. 

Noah got a little teary-eyed when Charlotte died. Travis crawled in the bed next to him and said, "Noah, you have to listen to the next chapter, it's good news! There was bad news in that chapter, but you're going to love the good news!"

Noah begged for me to read the last chapter. Of course, I obliged. He giggled with delight when the first spider babies crawled out of the egg sac, then jumped up and down when they be-friended Wilbur. When the book was over, he grabbed Travis's hand and said, "Did you hear that book, Travis? Did you hear the baby spiders?!" with such utter joy in his voice I will never forget it.

1 comment:

  1. What a special couple of evenings you had. Love you all, Mimi

    ReplyDelete